Checats Lake Cabin
Minimum ceiling: 2000 feet
Minimum flying altitude: 1500 feet
Minimum visibility: 1 mile
Approximate distance: 45 miles
Direct from Mountain Point to Cabin: 27 miles at 039
Direct from Cabin to Mountain Point: 27 miles at 220
VFR Directions: To the Island Cabin
- After leaving PAKT or 5KE, position over Pennock Island in the Tongass Narrows at a heading of 110
- At the south end of Pennock Island, head toward Bold Island, Set your heading at 094. Bold Island is 9 miles ahead. [5.4 minutes]
- At the south end of Bold Island, set a heading for 088 for Alava Point, the point of land 8.3 miles ahead. [5 minutes]
- At Alava Point set your heading at 017 for Smeaton Island, 9.6 miles ahead. You will fly over Rudyerd Island on this leg. At this point, you are in the Behm Canal, a body of water that circles the Ketchikan Area. [5.7 minutes]
- At Smeaton Island, set your heading at 002 for Candle Island. This is the small island at the southern tip of Winstanley Island [3 minutes]
- Continue north over Winstanley Island. Just past the end of the island, look for Checats Cove on the shoreline to the right.[2 miles] A small waterfall can be seen emptying into the cove, fly over the waterfall. Cross Checats Cove at a heading of 069 at a minimum altitude of 1550 feet.
- The Lake is 2 miles ahead. You will fly over the cabin as you approach the lake. NOTE: be careful landing on this lake. You may have to adjust your heading to starboard, and there are small islands in the center of the lake.
VFR Directions: Returning to Ketchikan
- Taxi to position yourself to the north side of the little island between the island and the shore. Select a heading of 268 and take off.
- As you come over the western shore of the lake, ease 10 degrees to port to cross over Checats Cove.
- As you pass over Checats Cove, about 2 miles, turn toward Winstanley Island, a heading of 353. Winstanley Island is 3.5 miles ahead. [1.5 minutes]
- Over Winstanley Island, set a heading of 349 for Smeaton Island, 5 miles ahead. [3 minutes]
- At Smeaton Island, set a course for Alava Point at a heading of 199, 12.4 miles ahead. [7.5 minutes]
- At Alava Point, set a heading of 269 for Bold Island 8.3 miles ahead. [5 minutes]
- Over Bold Island, set a heading of 275 for Pennock Island [5.5 minutes] ... you are now in the Tongass Narrows and ATC should be directing your destination.
Description: This is a rustic style 12' x 12' Pan-Abode log cabin with a wood-burning stove and sleeping space for 4 to 6 people. The cabin was constructed in 1964.
Location: Approximately 45 air miles northeast of Ketchikan on the mainland east of Rudyerd Bay, elevation 710 feet (215 meters). It is accessible by float plane. In fall, winter and early spring, the cabin may be inaccessible due to the frozen lake surface (float planes cannot land). This cabin is located within the Misty Fiords National Monument Wilderness. Please Leave No Trace of your visit.
Season of Use: Year-around.Facilities: 2 single plywood bunks, 2 double plywood bunks, Table and benches, Wood stove, Cooking counter, Food cupboard and shelves, Broom, mop and bucket, Outhouse toilet,
Axe, Maul and wedge, 14' aluminum skiff with oars and NO life jackets
Water is available from a creek near the cabin. Treat all water before using. Bring your own sleeping bags, sleeping pads, cooking stove, lantern, pots, pans, plates, utensils, food, toilet paper, garbage bags, fire extinguisher and fire starter. This cabin contains a wood stove. Please conserve firewood; supplied firewood is for wood stove use only.
Special Features: Checats Lake is a glacially formed basin with steep, rocky cliff faces on three sides. The cabin sits on a little knoll at the outlet of the lake, so stream and lake fishing is abundant. This is a unique Pan-Abode style cabin because the interior was remodeled in 1994. Additional lighting provided by a larger skylight furnishes a bright and cheery interior. Because of the land formations and the location of the cabin, there are many scenic and wildlife photo opportunities. Fishing is rated as very good for rainbow trout up to 24" (60 cm). Hunting for mountain goat, Sitka blacktail deer, black bear, and brown bear all occur in this area.